Tuesday, July 21, 2009

1985 Grenadier Models Justice League of America & Adversaries Miniature

Photo by Pekita Trotamundos


This Martian Manhunter pewter figurine was produced as part of the set 9501 Justice League of America & Adversaries, for use with Mayfair Games DC Heroes role-playing system. The ten figurines were sculpted by Andrew Chernak and John Dennett, and stand roughly 1.25" tall on average. You can see them all in this PDF of Grenadier's 1987 Photographic Compendium.

Photo by Pekita Trotamundos


Good luck making out the individual figures. Based on past knowledge, fuzzy online references, and supposition, I came up with Darkseid, Superman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Brainiac, the Joker and the Flash. Surprisingly strong company for a fairly obscure J'onn J'onzz in 1985, but maybe someone demanded at least one current member of the League appear in the set. I bought a three piece "set" off eBay in the late '90s. I got two Martian Manhunters, one of which was to be painted for me by a former customer/friend, but was never seen again.



I managed to find the original box art on the internet, as well as views of what the interior packaging looked like. I also stumbled onto an expired eBay auction with nine of the figures, and swiped the pictures below.




The other figurine I got in my own auction was Darkseid, who was just becoming a big deal in the '80s through his prominence in the Super Powers Collection, and would later be treated as a primary Manhunter foe in the Ostrander/Mandrake ongoing series. I figured a combo shot of these adversaries was in order.

Photo by Pekita Trotamundos


For more large pictures of Darkseid, click here.

No comments: