Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Comic Reader #219 (September, 1984)



If The Comic Buyers Guide was the national weekly newspaper of the industry in the '70s & '80s, The Comic Reader was like the TV Guide. You could pick up Marvel Age for a month's worth of that publisher's solicitation copy and self-serving promotional "articles," but DC only served them up in brief a week at a time on the back page of their monthly comics, and what about everybody else? The Comic Reader. Of course, ancient retyped press releases only have so much entertainment value in the present, so I never go out of my way to buy copies when I very rarely find the little pocket guides somewhere. However, I'll have to keep my eyes out for this issue, as it celebrated the return of the Manhunter from Mars to Justice League of America (and comics in general) by giving him a back cover illustration by inker Jeff Albrecht. Aside from the fruity seashell belt buckle (raiding Aquaman's wardrobe to make up for the ravages of Mars II?) this is a spiffy piece, reminiscent of Mike Gustovich. Evangeline held the front cover (anyone remember the Matthew Sweet tune she inspired? Or Matthew Sweet, for that matter?)

2 comments:

will_in_chicago said...

Frank, I do remember the tune and Matthew Sweet. (The Devil With Her Green Eyes was a better song.) Sadly, I missed Evangeline the character -- I tend to be involved with a lot of different things -- and was unaware of the reference to the comic in the song.

Diabolu Frank said...

I'm not sure I ever read Evangeline either. I think that was Eclipse Comics, and I was more into First.